MATERIALS AND SURFACE TREATMENTS UNIT
The activities of AIMME’s Materials And Surface Treatments Unit are mainly centered on technical assessment in the form of studies and diagnoses aimed at companies in the metals processing sector.
The actions that the unit deals with are mainly carried out in the areas of knowledge related to metals, corrosion processes and protection, technological transformation processes that are tackled in the divers industrial activities related to the materials (surface treatments, casting, metals shaping processes, welding, etc.) as well as the analysis of defects.
This unit has industrial pilot plants for surface and mechanical treatments available for the assessing, development and diagnoses solicited by client companies.
SUMMARY OF THE ACTIVITIS CARRIED OUT BY THE UNIT:
Diagnoses of corrosion processes and protection systems.
This field of activity is characterized be the carrying out of the evaluation and diagnoses, as well as the prevention, of the corrosion both of metals and their possible coatings.
Studies and diagnoses of materials and fault analysis.
- Studies and diagnoses of corrosion problems in metals.
- Studies and diagnoses anti-corrosion coatings.
- Diagnoses of the causes of defects in coatings.
- Study and design of corrosion prevention systems.
Within this area are included all the studies of the different ferrous or non-ferrous materials, and their alloys, most suitable for the productive process in addition to the analysis of failure causes produced during the material’s life.
Studies of the manufacturing and transformation processes of metals
- Advice on the selection of the most suitable materials:
- Raw materials delivery criteria.
- Metallurgical analysis of metal alloys.
- Defect diagnoses.
- Studies of melted alloys.
- Defect atlas.
- Defect diagnoses.
- Fractographic studies.
- Studies of failure causes throughout the pieces life.
This area is related to the studying and assessment of the manufacturing and transformation processes of metals with the aim of improving product quality and analyzing the possible causes of defects detected during manufacture.
Surface treatment processes and equipment.
- Manufacturing and quality monitoring of materials for die-casting.
- Design of welding procedures. Techniques and process optimization.
- Optimization of metallurgical processes employed in casting.
- Design of washing, and sinkhead systems and computer controlled cast-piece feed systems.
- Design of feed systems in computer assisted die-casting.
- Mould design and methodology.
- Studies of metal shaping and deformation processes.
This activity is centered on the assessment and improvement of the surface treatment processes employed in the industry.
Carrying out Pilot Plant studies
- Process improvement studies:
- Metals recovery treatments.
- Modification of work sequences and optimization of the global system.
- Modification of rinse sequences.
- Reduction in water consumption.
- Reduction in raw materials.
- Modification of piece placement and transport systems.
- Implementation of monitoring processes.
- Production monitoring.
- Finished product monitoring.
- Bath analysis and monitoring.
- Creation and modification of plant.
- Complete project viability study.
- Drawing up of line distribution plans.
- Supervision and follow up of tenders.
The Materials And Surface Treatments Unit has a very versatile, industrial-scale pilot plant, made up of a modular galvanizing line and its corresponding accessories, where any industrial process can be reproduced both for chemical and mechanical treatments. Here the following activities are tackled:
- Work sequence modification studies:
- Automated, semi-automated and manual plant.
- Drum or frame plants.
- Auxiliary plant.
- Studies of the evolution and incidence of variables intrinsic to baths.
- Concentration of pH, rH and conductivity components.
- Contamination level.
- Studies of the evolution and incidence of variables extrinsic to baths.
- Electrical, thermal and mechanical variables.
- Timing variables.
- Studies of mechanical processes.
- Polishing and sanding processes.
- Vibration processes.
- Peening and blasting processes.
- Studies of chemical processes.
- Degreasing and dipping processes.
- Conversion processes.
- Self-catalyzing processes.
- Brightening and oxidation processes.
- Studies of electrolytic processes.
- Degreasing processes.
- Demetallizing processes.
- Electropolishing processes.
- Metals electroplating processes.
- Organic electroplating processes (electrophoresis).
- Studies of intermediate processes.
- Rinsing processes.
- Drying and curing processes.
- Sealing processes.
- Dehydrogenation processes.